Title photo
frugal technology, simple living and guerrilla large-appliance repair

Regular blog here, 'microblog' there

Many of my traditional blog post live on this site, but a great majority of my social-style posts can be found on my much-busier microbloging site at updates.passthejoe.net. It's busier because my BlogPoster "microblogging" script generates short, Twitter-style posts from the Linux or Windows (or anywhere you can run Ruby with too many Gems) command line, uploads them to the web server and send them out on my Twitter and Mastodon feeds.

I used to post to this blog via scripts and Unix/Linux utilities (curl and Unison) that helped me mirror the files locally and on the server. Since this site recently moved hosts, none of that is set up. I'm just using SFTP and SSH to write posts and manage the site.

Disqus comments are not live just yet because I'm not sure about what I'm going to do for the domain on this site. I'll probably restore the old domain at first just to have some continuity, but for now I like using the "free" domain from this site's new host, NearlyFreeSpeech.net.

Thu, 12 Jul 2018

Social-style entries generated by my BlogPoster script are now going directly to the Updates site

I've been meaning to make this switch for awhile, and today I switched things around in my BlogPoster script so that the social-media-style entries I generate with it are now going directly to my Updates site.

So the message you currently see at the top of this site is not entirely accurate anymore. I will keep it there for now while the changes to the script are still young, but from here forward, My shortish entries that are generally mirrored on Twitter will not appear here, even temporarily.

When I change the message above, I will probably put some kind of link or navigation that allows readers to toggle between the main blog and the updates site.

I have been working on a new version of the BlogPoster script, but it's been slow going, so I might try to separate the configuration information and put it in a separate file so I can publish the current script, more or less, on GitHub. That's the main problem -- I'm developing using a version of the live script that I am actually using, so it's hard to avoid committing logins and passwords to git. Once I have them separated out, I can create a sample configuration file and let the script create the "live" version of same on the first run.

It's funny. Now that I have the program that I intended to write (with the exception being that it's a command-line utility and not a GUI application ... yet), I spend a lot more time using it than I do hacking on it. I need to tip things in the other direction.