Title photo
frugal technology, simple living and guerrilla large-appliance repair

Regular blog here, 'microblog' there

Many of my traditional blog post live on this site, but a great majority of my social-style posts can be found on my much-busier microbloging site at updates.passthejoe.net. It's busier because my BlogPoster "microblogging" script generates short, Twitter-style posts from the Linux or Windows (or anywhere you can run Ruby with too many Gems) command line, uploads them to the web server and send them out on my Twitter and Mastodon feeds.

I used to post to this blog via scripts and Unix/Linux utilities (curl and Unison) that helped me mirror the files locally and on the server. Since this site recently moved hosts, none of that is set up. I'm just using SFTP and SSH to write posts and manage the site.

Disqus comments are not live just yet because I'm not sure about what I'm going to do for the domain on this site. I'll probably restore the old domain at first just to have some continuity, but for now I like using the "free" domain from this site's new host, NearlyFreeSpeech.net.

Fri, 16 Mar 2018

I finally have Puppy Linux's Xenialpup set up for Ruby

It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally have my Ruby environment set up in Puppy Linux's Xenialpup (based on Ubuntu 16.04) so I can use my BlogPoster app and also work on its code.

I didn't have any trouble installing Ruby and the ruby-nokogiri package from the Puppy Package Manager. But I couldn't get ruby-twitter to install. gem install wouldn't work -- I didn't have the ruby-dev package -- and I didn't see the Ubuntu package that I needed.

I looked at the problem again, and I figured out that I was missing a repository in the Puppy Package Manager. Once I added the "missing" repository (which involved checking a box -- nothing too difficult), I was able to install ruby-twitter and get my script running.

My next problem was the vi in Puppy. I think it really is vi and not Vim. I couldn't get any formatting commands like :set number to work, either in command mode or .vimrc. The fix for this was quick: I installed Vim from the Puppy Package Manager.

Now I can call the "old" vi, or the "newer" Vim as needed, and my BlogPoster script is running great.

I'm having some issues pasting links into the terminal, but that's something I could overcome. Right now it's a lot of awkward "middle" clicking on the mouse, which for practical purposes means clicking both buttons at once. I'm getting better at it, but I could also use Geany instead of Vim as my editor. I tested Geany with my Ruby script, and it does work.

In other development-related news for this Puppy system, I installed the Racket programming environment from the script provided by the project. So far it works pefectly. I started up DrRacket and was coding right away.